Flags Over Georgia
Special thanks to SFZIP for additional park information.
Long-time park employee Bob Armstrong sent in several corrections to the
timeline. Thanks Bob!
– Angus Wynne's Great Southwest Corporation purchases 3,000 acres of
land near Atlanta, Georgia.
Six Flags Over Georgia, built for $12 million and covering less
that 80 acres, opens on June 7th.
The six areas are:
- Britain, with a Colonial theme
and Hanson cars (Antique cars).
Confederate, home of the Dahlonega Mine Train (Arrow steel
roller coaster), the children's Mini-Mine Train (Arrow steel
coaster originally named Yahoola Hooler), the Tales of the Okefenokee dark ride, the Astro Lift
(sky ride) to
the USA section, the Crystal Pistol theater, a Mule-Go-Round
ride (with live mule) and a train station for the Six Flags Railroad.
- Spain, with the Castillo De Soto (a building themed as a
fort), which houses the Casa Loco (tilt house), the Casa De Fritos
restaurant, a candle shop and a poster shop.
- France, which consists of Jean Ribaut's Adventure (riverboat
ride with animated scenes), a train depot for the Six Flags Railroad,
Lafayette's Shooting Gallery, the Watermelon Waterloo picnic
area, the Gaslight on the Green restaurant, and a souvenir shop,
The French Trading Post.
- USA, featuring the Happy Motoring Freeway (car ride),
Petsville (petting zoo), MoMo The Monster ("Spider"-type ride),
the Krofft Puppet Theater, the Chevy Show and the Animal
- Georgia, a section with only one attraction, the Log Jamboree
Admission for the first season is $2.75.
- A new area, Lickskillet, is added, which
is themed to resemble a Georgia coalmining community.
It includes the Spindletop (Rotor) ride, the Wheel Barrow (Chance
Tumbler), several craft shops and a "shootout" show performed in the
- A second sky ride, named Sky Buckets, is added between the
Confederate and Lickskillet sections.
- All of the scenes in the Tales of the Okefenokee ride are
changed prior to the season.
- The Casa Loco tilt house is moved outside the Spanish fort and
renamed Casa Magnetica.
- The Horror Cave, a walk-through haunted-house type attraction
with animated scenes, debuts inside the fort in the former spot of
the tilt house.
- A second flume is added to the Log Jamboree.
1969 – The Sky Hook is added
to the USA section after having been relocated from Six Flags Over Texas.
1970 – Wheel Barrow is removed.
- Drunken Barrels (tilting, spinning tea-cups-like ride) is added in
Lickskillet in Wheel Barrow's former location.
- The parking lot is expanded
and a "back" entrance gate is added.
1972 – The Riverview Carousel
(purchased from the closed Riverview Park in Chicago) is added in a
new area north of the Spanish section.
1973 – The
Cotton States Exposition,
themed as a "classic amusement park", is added around the Riverview
Carousel and includes the Great
American Scream Machine (PTC wooden roller coaster), bumper cars and
several game booths.
1974 – MoMo the Monster is
- Phlying Phlyrpus (flying planes with steer-able rudders) is added.
- The Happy Motoring
Freeway is removed at the end of the season.
1976 – The Great Gasp (Intamin
Parachute Drop) is added in the area vacated by the Happy Motoring
1977 – Wheelie (Schwarzkopf Enterprise) is added.
1978 – Mind Bender
(Schwarzkopf steel looping roller coaster) is added to the
1979 – Highland Swings
(Chance Yo-Yo) is added.
1980 – Jolly Roger's Island,
a new pirate-themed area connected to the USA section, is added, featuring
the Flying Dutchman (pirate ship).
- The Tales of the Okefenokee dark ride is remodeled and renamed
as The Monster Plantation.
- Jean Ribaut's Adventure riverboat ride is removed at the end of
River (white water rafting ride) is added in the area formerly occupied
by Jean Ribaut's Adventure.
- Astro Lift is removed at the end of the season.
1983 – Free Fall (Intamin
first-generation drop ride) is added in the USA section. Skylift's
former station is used as the queue house for Free Fall.
- The Great Six Flags Air Racer (Intamin Air Racer) is added.
- Drunken Barrels is removed at the end of the season.
- Looping Starship (Intamin) is added, but is removed at the
end of the season.
- Wheelie is relocated to Lickskillet.
- The Horror Cave is removed at the end of the season.
- Splashwater Falls (shoot-the-chutes water ride) is added.
- The Spanish Fort is turned into a Looney Tunes interactive play
- Casa Magnetica is removed at the end of the season.
- Z-Force (Intamin
steel Space Diver roller coaster) is added after being relocated from Six Flags Great
- The Bullfrog Review puppet theater is added in the former
area of Casa Magnetica.
- The Mini-Mine Train is removed at the end of the season.
- Looping Starship is re-added to the park after a 3 season
- Dahlonega Mine Train is refurbished by the O.D. Hopkins
corporation, replacing wooden bracing with steel pole supports and
re-profiling the final tunnel.
- Georgia Cyclone (Summers/Dinn wooden roller coaster patterned
after the Coney Island Cyclone) is added.
- The Hanson Cars are relocated near "Carousel Hill".
- One flume is removed from Log Jamboree at the end of the
- Ragin' Rivers (a slide complex with 4 wet/dry slides) is
- Z-Force is removed at the end of the season and relocated to
Six Flags Magic Mountain as Flashback.
- Ninja (Vekoma steel
looping roller coaster) is added after being purchased from Conko's Party
Pier (Wildwood, NJ) where it had operated since 1989 as Kamikaze.
- Road Runner Convoy (truck ride) is added in the area vacated by
the Mini-Mine Train.
1993 – The Batman Stunt Show
- Looney Tunes Land is redesigned as
Bugs Bunny World.
o Henry Hawk Happy Worm is renamed Toro
o Elmer Fudd Fewwis Wheel is renamed Fiesta Wheel,
o Tweety's Swing is renamed Swing Sevile,
o Road Runner Convoy is renamed Convoy Grande,
o Flying Tasmanian Devil Planes is renamed The Little
o Yosemite Sam's Buccaneer Boats are renamed Santa Maria
o Road Runner Runaround is removed.
- Viper (Schwarzkopf
steel launched shuttle loop roller coaster) is added after being relocated
from Six Flags Great America, where it operated as Tidal Wave.
- UltraZone (indoor Laser Tag) is added.
- Fearless Freep's Dare Devil Dive (skycoaster) is added.
- Flying Dutchman
pirate ship is removed at the end of the season.
- Jolly Roger's Island
is transformed into Gotham City and Batman: The Ride (B&M
steel inverted roller coaster) is added.
- Mindbender gets new green/black paint scheme.
- Highland Swings is removed at the end of the season.
- The park's front entrance is totally remodeled.
- The back park entrance is closed.
Ragin' Rivers is removed at the end of the season.
- Georgia Scorcher (B&M
stand-up steel roller coaster) is added.
- Goldtown Race (Go Karts) is added in the former location of the
2000 – The Great Six Flags Air
Racers are removed at the end of the season.
- Acrophobia, an Intamin 161-foot stand-up gyro drop tower, is added.
- Tweety's Clubhouse (S&S Frog Hopper) is added in Bug's Bunny World.
- Deja Vu (Vekoma steel Giant Inverted Boomerang roller
coaster) is added but doesn't open until September 1st.
- Log Jamboree is renamed Deer Park Plunge.
- Viper is removed at the end of the season.
2002 – Superman - Ultimate
Flight (B&M steel flying roller coaster) is added in the area vacated by
After spending all of the
2002 season laying dismantled in the employee parking lot, Viper is
relocated to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, where it is renamed
The Bullfrog Review puppet theater is removed at the end of the
Admission this year is $42.00. Parking is $10.00
- Five new family rides are added:
Wile E. Coyote Canyon
Blaster (extended custom Chance Rides Big Dipper kiddie coaster)
added in the old Spanish Fort in Bugs Bunny World.
Gotham City Crime
Wave (Zierer Wave Swinger) added in Gotham
City section (replaces Ultrazone lazer tag building).
This ride was purchased from Thrill Valley Amusement Park in Japan along
with the 4 rides Six Flags New Orleans received in 2003.
Shake Rattle & Roll
(1950’s themed indoor Eli Bridge Scrambler) added inside the USA
Theater/Chevy Show dome in the USA section.
Up, Up & Away (Zamperla
Balloon Race) added on “Carousel Hill”.
Rockin’ Tug (Zamperla
Rockin’ Tug) added on “Carousel Hill”.
- Skull Island (Koala Play Group Discovery Treehouse/WaterColors
with slides from Proslide Technology Inc.) is added.
- Georgia Cyclone gets some re-tracking.
- Looping Starship and The Great Gasp are closed and removed during
- Admission this year is $43.99.
You Can Help!
Do you save park brochures? We need scans of the front of park
brochures to include with each park's timeline. Any year, any
park! All are appreciated. Please
email us if you'd like to contribute.
Have you created a timeline for a theme park that is not currently on
our site? We'd love to add it! You'll be given full credit
and if you have a site, we'd be happy to link to it in the timeline
and on our Links page. For
further details, contact us.