Year by Year History of Your Favorite Parks!

 

Home

Timelines

Contact Us

About

Links

Originally posted: 7/18/2004

Last updated: 2/26/2005

 


 
 

Kennywood


  By Chris Cowan
 
 
themeparks@insightbb.com 
 


1815:

Charles Kenny purchases land near Pittsburgh that will eventually be used for Kennywood.  He mines coal on the site.
 


1860:

Kenny's Grove, a portion of the Kenny family's land, becomes popular as a picnic area.
 


1898:

The Monongahela Street Railway Company leases Kenny's Grove to open a trolley park.  Company shareholder Andrew Mellon names the park Kennywood.


1899:

Merry-Go-Round (G.A. Dentzel) is added for $2500.


1901:

The Old Mill, an enclosed boat ride, is added.


1902:

Figure Eight Toboggan, a Frederick Ingersoll designed wooden roller coaster with single-car trains, is added.


1906:

Scenic Railway, a wooden roller coaster, is added.

The Old Mill is renamed Fairyland Floats.

The Pittsburgh Kennywood Park Company is formed by Andrew McSwigan, Frederick Henninger and A.F. Megahan and takes over the lease of Kennywood.


1910:

Racer, twin wooden roller coasters, is added.


1911:

Speed-O-Plane, a wooden roller coaster, is added.

Fairyland Floats is renamed Panama Canal.

Scenic Railway is removed at the end of the season.


1913:

The original Merry-Go-Round is replaced by a new T.M. Harton model.


1914:

Panama Canal is renamed The Old Mill, its original name.


1918:

The Whip (Mangels) is added.


1921:

Jack Rabbit, a 70-ft tall John Miller designed wooden roller coaster, is added at a cost of $50,000.

The Old Mill gets new boats.

Figure Eight Toboggan is renamed Gee Whizz Dip The Dips.

Gee Whizz Dip The Dips is removed at the end of the season.


1922:

A kiddie ride area is added next to Jack Rabbit and consists of four rides: a miniature Whip, Ferris Wheel, Carousel and Swan Song.


1923:

Speed-O-Plane is removed.


1924:

Pippin, a wooden roller coaster, is added.


1926:

The Harton Merry-Go-Round is replaced by a new one made by William H. Dentzel.  Music on the ride is provided by a 1916 Wurlitzer band organ.

The original 12-car Whip is replaced by a new 16-car model.

The Old Mill is re-designed and made larger.

Racer is removed.


1927:

Racer, a "Moebius-loop" wooden roller coaster, is added at a cost of $75,000.

The Tumble Bug (Traver) is added.

Four more rides are added to the kiddie area.


1928:

Brownie Coaster, a wooden roller coaster, is added.


1930-1935:

Kennywood survives the Great Depression by sponsoring school picnics and bringing in swing bands.


1930:

Auto Race, small electrically powered cars that travel along a wooden track, is added.


1934:

Brownie Coaster is removed.


1935:

Teddy Bear, a wooden roller coaster, is added.

Horses on the Merry-Go-Round are re-painted.


1936:

Noah's Ark, a walk-through "haunted house"-type attraction designed by PTC, is added.


1940's:

Kiddie Turtle is added to the children's area.


1945:

Kennywood Railroad is added and uses a gasoline powered engine which was originally built for the 1939 World's Fair.


1946:

The facade of the Racer's loading platform is redesigned.


1947:

Teddy Bear is removed.


1948:

Dipper, a wooden roller coaster, is added.

Hills are removed from the Auto Race track.

The Tumble Bug's cars are replaced with new ones that look like turtles.


1949:

The Tumble Bug is renamed The Turtle.

The Racer's last hill is removed.


1951:

Jack Rabbit gets new trains from PTC.


1958:

Wild Mouse, a Schiff steel roller coaster, is added.


1959:

SkyDiver (Hrubetz) is added.


1960:

The facade of the Racer's loading platform is redesigned.

Wild Mouse is removed.


1961:

The Old Mill gets new boats.


1962:

Kangaroo is added.


1966:

Turnpike, antique cars with gasoline engines manufactured by Arrow, is added.


1968:

The Pippin roller coaster undergoes a major expansion and is renamed Thunderbolt.

The Whip is moved near the Racer to make room for Thunderbolt.


1969:

The small hill on the second curve around the loading station is removed on Thunderbolt.

Noah's Ark is refurbished.


1972:

Bayern Kurve is added.


1973:

Headlights are added to the trains on Thunderbolt.


1975:

The Log Jammer, a water flume ride with two drops manufactured by Arrow, is added for $1.1 million.

The miniature (kiddie) Whip is destroyed in a fire.


1976:

SkyDiver is replaced with a new model and renamed Paratrooper.

Merry-Go-Round is restored at a cost of $100,000.


1977:

Gran Prix (Reverchon bumper cars) is added.


1978:

Enterprise, a Huss Enterprise, is added.


1979:

A sprinkler system is added to Merry-Go-Round.


1980:

Laser Loop, a Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop steel roller coaster, is added.


1981:

The Gold Rusher, a Bradley & Kaye dark ride themed as a haunted coal mine, is added. 

The Turtle is refurbished.

Cuddle Up is removed.


1982:

Pirate (Huss) is added near Laser Loop.

Racer gets two new trains from PTC.


1983:

The Ranger is removed.

Cinema 180 is removed.


1984:

Wave Swinger is added in Cinema 180's former location.

Swing Around (Huss) is added in The Ranger's former location.

The original Bayern Kurve is replaced by a new one.

Swing Around and the Dipper coaster are removed at the end of the season.


1985:

Raging Rapids, a white-water rafting ride manufactured by Intamin, is added in the Dipper's former location.


1986:

Employee-controlled geysers and a waterfall are added to Raging Rapids.

Bayern Kurve is removed.


1987:

Musik Express (Mack) is added.

Turnpike's original gasoline cars are replaced with electric-powered cars.

Kennywood is designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior.


1988:

Flying Carpet (Zierer) is added near Gran Prix.

Monster is removed.


1989:

Swing Around is re-added after a four year absence.


1990:

The original facade of the Racer's loading platform is restored.

Log Jammer receives some refurbishment.

Laser Loop is removed.


1991:

Steel Phantom, an Arrow steel roller coaster with 4 loops, is added.


1993:

Wipeout (Chance) is added and replaces Enterprise, which is removed for refurbishment.

The Whip is removed at the end of the season for refurbishment.


1994:

Sky Coaster is added.

Bayern Kurve is re-added after a seven year absence.

Enterprise is re-added in its former location after a one year absence.

Wipeout moves to replace the Wave Swinger, which is removed for refurbishment.


1995:

Lost Kennywood, a new theme area based on Oakland's Luna amusement park from the early 1900's, is added.

Pittsburgh Plunge, a shoot-the-chute water ride manufactured by O.D. Hopkins, is added in Lost Kennywood.

The Whip is re-added in Lost Kennywood.

Wave Swinger is re-added in Lost Kennywood.


1996:

Lil' Phantom, a steel kiddie coaster, is added.

Wipeout is moved next to the Wave Swinger in Lost Kennywood.

Noah's Ark is remodeled.

Phantom Phlyers are removed at the end of the season.


1997:

Pitt Fall (Intamin 2nd generation Free Fall) is added in the former location of Phantom Phylers inside the helix of Steel Phantom.


1998:

Merry-Go-Round's horses are refurbished.

The trains on Thunderbolt get new headlights.


1999:

Exterminator, an enclosed Reverchon Spinning Wild Mouse steel roller coaster, is added.

Two of Thunderbolt's trains collide in the station, injuring 35 riders.

After the accident, the headlights on Thunderbolt's trains are removed.

Wonder Wheel is removed at the end of the season.


2000:

Aero 360 (Zamperla) is added in Wonder Wheel's former location.


2001:

Steel Phantom undergoes major modifications by Morgan and is renamed Phantom's Revenge.  All 4 loops are removed, total track length is increased by 200 feet, and the trains are modified, removing the shoulder restraints.

Flying Carpet is SBNO for most of the season due to maintenance issues.


 


2003:

Volcano Valley, a new theme area, is added.

King Kahuna, a Huss Top Spin, is added in Volcano Valley.  This ride was originally located at Lake Compounce in Bristol, CT.

Ham on Rye Theatre (virtual reality gaming) is added.

Enterprise gets new paint and volcanic-rock theming, and is renamed Volcano.

Bathrooms next to Noah's Ark are removed to make room for King Kahuna.

Roll-O-Planes and the Miniature Golf course are removed.


2004:

The Old Mill is remodeled, gets new theming and is renamed Garfield's Nightmare.

 

 


 

 


2005:

The front entrance is rebuilt.

Admission this year is $28.95.

 



You Can Help!


Do you save park brochures?  We need scans of the front of park brochures to include with each park's timeline.  Any year, any park!  All are appreciated.  Please email us if you'd like to contribute.
 


Accepting Timelines


Have you created a timeline for a theme park that is not currently on our site?  We'd love to add it!  You'll be given full credit and if you have a site, we'd be happy to link to it in the timeline and on our Links page.  For further details, contact us.


 

© 2002-2005 Chris Cowan. All rights reserved.
This web site is not affiliated with any theme parks or their parent companies.
All theme park logos, brochures, maps and any other promotional material is copyrighted or trademarked by their respective owners.
Technical or factual errors discovered on this web site should be reported to the webmaster.